What is it?
Climate change is here to stay. Our climate transition service helps you deal with this new reality and get paid for your efforts.
Climate change is the result of greenhouse gases (GHGs) accumulating in the atmosphere. Agriculture emits mainly four types of GHGs:
Because of these gases, Quebec’s regional temperatures are expected to rise from 2.7°C to 2.9°C, on average, by 2050. These regions are also expected to receive up to 86 millimeters more in precipitation. This may seem minor, but these small increases will have major effects: more runoff, more insect pests, longer periods of drought, etc.
The agricultural sector can help reverse these trends. Agriculture emits about 10% of GHGs in Quebec and a little less than 20% worldwide. In la belle province, agricultural emissions have even increased by 12% since 1990!
On farms, GHGs do not only come from diesel: producers’ practices also release carbon trapped in the soil, which contributes to the creation of CO2. Between 1981 and 2011, each agricultural hectare in Quebec has lost at least 600 kilograms of organic carbon, which is equivalent to driving a car more for than 11 million kilometers!
With us, you can reverse these trends by reducing your GHGs and then accounting and valuing these reductions according to recognized standards.
Concretely, our service includes:
- An inventory of your farm’s GHG emissions, i.e. a quantified picture of your current situation
- A sampling of the organic carbon in your soils
- A personalized transition plan towards an agricultural production that emits less GHGs
- Opportunities to leverage your efforts through recognized certifications and access to carbon markets
What’s in it for me?
By addressing climate change, you increase your farm’s resilience to the disruptions lying ahead, while ensuring a better future for your children. You also create a new asset for your farm, carbon sequestration.
In effect, your efforts are rewarded in two ways:
- The agri-environmental practices you adopt to protect against climate change make your soil more fertile and resilient
- Your GHG reductions create a marketable asset, which can be sold to consumers, processors or on carbon markets
Finally, subscribing to our service makes you eligible for grants of up to $15,000.
Currently, we are the only agri-environmental consulting firm in Quebec who offers a climate transition service.
Our climate team includes several experts, including an agri-environmental economist and specialists in GHG inventories and compliance.